Pages

Friday, November 27, 2009

Crochet Project: Fancy Nancy Doll (Easy crochet clothes)


I now have two assembled dolls, time to dress them!

I had originally intended to just crochet clothes to the dolls and had actually already done so with my first doll. The problem was that they couldn't be easily removed, without taking off the head. I have also made some observations: 1.) Fancy Nancy is definitely a dress-up kind of girl and 2.) I spent the majority of my time at my niece's birthday party putting Disney Princesses into different dresses to keep my niece happy. So, the clothes have to be removeable. Luckily, the doll bodies are relatively the same proportion, so I can make a set of clothes for each and my nieces can mix and match as they please.

I have included my patterns below. In true Roundabout Fashion, the method I used is a bit backwards. I kind of started in the middle on the clothes. It's probably easier to just start from the top, but that's not how I roll...

Bodysuits:
Hook: B
Yarn:
Brown-hair doll: navy (?), Red Heart Classic in Parakeet, gray (?)
Red-hair doll: rose (?), pink (?), Red Heart Super Saver in White
Furry Trim: Eyelash yarn

Row 1: chain 45 (the number of stitches was determined just by measuring around the doll and deciding what made a snug fit). Slip stitch to first stitch, forming a loop. Ch 2.
Row 2: I pinned the ring to my doll's waist to make sure I didn't twist the chain. DC around, slip stitch to first stitch, ch 2.
Row 3-6: DC around, slip stitch to first stitch, ch 2. To determine how many rows I would need, I put the piece on the doll where I wanted the waist to be and kept adding rows until the piece met with the legs. Fasten off when you meet desired length.
Crotch:
Row 1: Determine how many stitches will fit in the gap between the legs. I located the middle 5 stitches on either side of my piece and did 5 sc across (1 sc per stitch). Ch 1 (turning chain)
Row 2-6 sc each stitch across, ch 1. When your piece meets comfortably at the other side, slip stitch to the middle 5 stitches.
Legs:
Row 1: attach yarn at a back corner. Sc in each stitch around, forming a nice leg shape. Slip stitch to first stitch, ch 2.
Row 2-?:Dc in each stitch around, slip stitch to first stitch, ch 2 (until final row). The number of rows I used varied. The pink outfit has 6 and the blue outfit has 4. Just depends on the look you want. Fasten off.
Trim on blue: *sc, hdc, dc, tc, dc, hdc, sc* repeat *-* around.

This is where I went backwards. I had a nice pair of shorts, THEN decided I wanted to make bodysuits.

Row 1: attach yarn at waistband of shorts. DC each stitch around. Slip stitch to first stitch, ch 2.
Row 2-7: dc each stitch around, slip stitch to first stitch, ch 2. (the number of rows may fluctuate based on the height of the doll's torso).
Row 8-9: I fastened off the old yarn and started a new row of DC next to the arm and DC across until I met the other arm. Ch 2, (turning), DC back across. Fasten off. Repeat on back of doll.
Row 10 (Trim): SC each stitch around.
Row 11-15 (straps): attach yarn at front corner, sc 5 st, ch 1 (turning chain) continue until comfortable with length to back of outfit, slip stitch to 5 stitches (repeat for other side)
Skirt
Row 1: ch 40, slip stitch to first stitch, ch 2
Row 2 (for balloon effect): *dc 1, 2 dc next stitch* repeat from *-* around, slip stitch to first stitch, ch 2.
Row 3-10: dc each stitch around, fasten off when length is correct.
Trim: attach eyelash yarn at back, sc around, slip stitch, fasten off.

Jacket
Row 1: ch 35 (enough to fit comfortably around neck)
Row 2-4: dc each stitch, ch 2 (turning chain) at each end
Fold crochet to create crease for collar between Row 3 and 4
Row 5, Dc to first arm, chain 10 stitches, skip 10 dc and fasten chain to 11th from previous row, continue dc to other arm repeat. Ch 2 (turning chain)
Row 6-10: dc each stitch until the jacket is the length you want. Green has 5 rows of dc after arm, blue has 8 rows. Fasten off.
Trim: attach eyelash yarn at back, sc around, slip stitch, fasten off.
Sleeve:
Green Sleeve: Row 1: starting at middle bottom (under arm), sc to beginning of should, 2dc each stitch in 7 stitches, sc to bottom center, slip stitch, ch 2.
Row 2-3: dc each stitch around, slip stitch to first, ch 2. Fasten off
Blue Sleeve: starting at middle bottom (under arm), sc up to beginning of shoulder, dc each stitch across top, sc to bottom center, slip stitch, ch 2.
Row 4-11: dc around. Fasten off.
Trim: attach eyelash yarn at back, sc around, slip stitch, fasten off
Boas: ch 100, ch 1(turning chain)
Row 2: dc each stitch across

What I Learned:
I can use an entire skein on one jacket/skirt set, that kind of shocked me. I was going to make really oranate sleeves, but found I wouldn't have enough yarn, so had to scale them back.

Using eyelash yarn is difficult. Using it as trim was not as difficult as trying to make a boa. I ended up having to put paperclips to mark each stitch just so I could find them on my way back through with the dc.
The waistbands on the skirts were a little loose, so I attached the yarn at the top of the skirt and did *1 dc, 1dc, 1dc, dc2tog* to tighten up the top a bit

No comments:

Post a Comment